They’re never too young to create and explore!
STEM challenges are such a fun way for kids to explore how the world works. By building and creating, they learn problem-solving skills and get hands-on experience with physics, engineering, and more. These kindergarten STEM challenges prove that even little ones have plenty of ingenuity and inspiration.The best part? These challenges are so easy to set up. They require only basic supplies, like wood craft sticks, pipe cleaners, or blocks. Just post one of these kindergarten STEM challenges on your whiteboard, explain the requirements, pass out the supplies, and watch young minds grow!
Want this entire set of STEM challenges in one easy document? Download the full PDF bundle so you’ll always have the challenges available.
1. Fold a sheet of paper to make a column that supports the most books.
2. Use pipe cleaners to make a new kind of bubble wand.
3. Take a walk outside and find at least five items to use as paintbrushes.
4. Use pool noodles cut in half lengthwise to make a toy car race track that includes a ramp. You can also use blocks and masking tape.
5. Build the tallest tower you can using wood craft sticks and clothespins.
6. Mix red, blue, and yellow finger paints to make as many new colors as you can.
7. Use toothpicks and marshmallows to make as many different shapes as possible.
8. Use one can of shaving cream to build the tallest structure you can.
9. Stack 15 plastic cups into the tallest tower possible.
10. Gather twigs outside and use them to build a house for one of the Three Little Pigs.
11. Use 5 pipe cleaners to make the longest chain you can. The chain must be able to hold a small cup of jellybeans.
12. Build the tallest tower possible using buttons and Play-Doh.
13. Use a cardboard box, wood craft sticks, construction paper, and supplies like scissors and glue to build a monster trap.
14. Make a domino chain reaction that includes two curves.
15. Use newspapers and masking tape to make a tent for a stuffed animal.
16. Build a bridge that can hold 100 pennies using wood craft sticks and toilet paper tubes.
17. Scoop up one cup of random LEGO bricks and use it to make a new kind of animal.
18. Use plastic straws and masking tape to build the tallest possible tower.
19. Design a repeating pattern necklace from Cheerios and colored beads.
20. Find three different things to fill plastic eggs to make them sink to the bottom of a tub of water.
21. Make a snowflake from toothpicks and mini marshmallows.
22. Chicka Chicka Boom Boom! Use blocks and wood craft sticks to make a coconut tree that holds as many alphabet magnets or beads as possible.
23. Construct a house from drinking straws and Play-Doh. You can cut the straws if you like.
24. Build a fence for toy animals using wood craft sticks and Play-Doh.
25. 100 Day Challenge! Use 100 of something (blocks, LEGO bricks, pipe cleaners, etc.) to make a creation that celebrates your 100th day of school.
Loved these kindergarten grade STEM challenges? Check out the Best Kindergarten Science Projects and Activities.
25 Kindergarten STEM Challenges That Little Ones Will Love